Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Santa Roaches


Chocolate Covered Santa Roaches were one of this years Creepmas treats.  These are so easy to make this isn't really even a recipe.  But you will need:

Chocolate [I used Doves Dark, it's a mild dark for those that can't handle the strong stuff]
Pecan halves
Chocolate Jimmies
White and Red candy melts
White Pearl decorating candy [optional, could use white candy melts instead]

Sprinkle a layer of jimmies on a jelly roll pan covered with parchment paper.

Melt the chocolate, temper it.  Dip the pecans in one at time.  Pull them out flat side down on a fork, tap the fork on the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Use another fork to slide the pecan off and onto the jimmie covered parchment.  Let chocolate completely set before moving on.

Below is a visual on improperly tempered chocolate.  I have tempering info in my Rat Truffle post.  You can see starting from the top left hand corner my chocolate is not tempered correctly, which has resulted in an unsightly bloom.  This does not effect the taste at all, but it can take longer to set.  You can see how the very act of stirring and dipping more roaches actually helped the tempering process as they go from full bloom, to swirly to all smooth and shiny.   


After they were set I microwaved the red candy melts in a freezer ziplock, snipped a corner off and zigzagged a little triangle shape onto their little heads.  I added a candy pearl for the hat tassel, but you could also pipe white candy melt, which I used for the brim of the hats.




And these are the Santa Roaches in the bathroom.  Yes they've been up since the craft party just so they could join in the Creepmas festivities this year.  I made about 30 little hats.  And that alone is probably grounds to have me committed...Here they are up close:



I may be a little crazy, but I am not the only one. 
Check out this Christmas Caroling Cockroach Diorama.

 

and this ornament...

and this festive bugger...
source: pinterest.com

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha - I love it even if you are on your way to being committed. When I show this post to His Lordship, he said "that's just crazy". I however disagree. I think it is great the effort you're making to include cockroaches as a Creepmas icon! To cute! I am gonna copy you as I picked up lots of bags of sale cockroaches after Halloween to put on my bathroom wall next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love your roaches, His Lordship probably won't, but I guarantee they will bring you much amusement.

      Delete